As more and more people started to realize the importance preserving nature and role of natural food in their lives, organic farming came to the forefront. Despite high prices, today consumer’s choices are skewed towards products labeled as organic. Owing to the growing demands for naturally grown products in domestic as well as overseas market, the organic products manufacturers in India have stepped up their production and are successfully catering to a large section of the people across the globe.
Understanding the concept of organic farming
The core theory behind organic farming is to promote natural and sustainable farm management practice. It is the form of agricultural farming that advocates the philosophy of working with nature. It aims to create a socially, environmentally, and economically sustainable food production system that benefits all.
The fundamental idea behind organic farming is to produce nutritional food without causing any harm to the nature. Organic producers use natural processes and materials (shun away external farming inputs, such as pesticides, artificial fertilizers, additives, and genetically modified organisms). These contribute to soil fertility, crop nutrition, and pest and weed management and conservation of biological diversity. It helps maintain a harmonious balance in the environment keeping it productive and flourishing.
Organic farming usually involves traditional methods of farming along with practice of the some modern techniques based on scientific researches. The central objective is to yield quality produce with minimal waste and damage to nature.
Key principles of organic farming
Organic farming practice calls for adoption of certain regulations and principles. Usually there are some common principles followed in most of the countries. These include:
- Principle of health: This aims at promoting farming practice that protects and enhances the health of all organisms which includes not only humans but also soil microorganisms.
- Principle of ecology: According to this, the organic farming should preserve and benefit the environment (landscape, climate, natural habitats, biodiversity, air, water, and soil) through using environment-friendly techniques.
- Principle of fairness: This recommends being genuine and respectful towards all involved in the business: farmers, suppliers, traders and consumers. It focuses on proper working and living conditions of the workers and adequate supply of quality products to the consumers.
- Principle of care: This stresses on observing necessary precautions to achieve right balance for the future needs. It encourages utilizing resources responsibly, keeping in mind the upcoming generations and nature’s requirements.
Organic Farming practices
Be it mustard manufacturers or turmeric producers, people involved in organic farming, rely on a set of tools and practices. However, each farm operation employs its own combination of tools and practices to build a working organic system. Following is the list of primary organic crop production practices.
- Crop rotation: This means using the same land for growing different crops in recurrent succession. It prevents soil erosion and maintains soil fertility.
- Cover crop and green manures: These are primarily grown not for the purpose of sale but to create conditions that are beneficial for the production of subsequent crops. They protect otherwise bare soil against erosion and contribute towards improving the soil quality.
- Manuring and composting: Manure and compost supply numerous nutrients for crop production, including micronutrients and are also valuable sources of organic matter.
- Integrated weed management: This is achieved through processes like manual weeding, mulching, crop rotation and haymaking and more.
- Integrated pest management: It prohibits using heavy chemicals, instead relies on biological pest control. It advocates use of one or more beneficial organisms, usually called natural enemies, to eliminate the existence of another type of organism, the pest.
Besides, the organic farming practices also encompass anaerobic soil disinfestations, buffers and barriers, mechanical soil cultivation, recycling materials and utilizing renewable resources.
All in all, organic farming echoes with sustainable agriculture system that yields improved soil quality, reduced pollution, nutritional products and enhanced ecosystem bio diversity
There can be no denying that organic farming offers multitudes of benefits to humans and the nature. This is the reason why this sector gets special recognition by the governments too. However, it’s not an easy job and hence, there’s need to open more possibilities for organic farming to flourish.
About Organic Products India:
It is one of the reputed manufactures and suppliers of organic products. A subsidiary of globally acclaimed Veeral Agro Tech Group, the organization has anchored a benchmark in the organic farming produce. All the processes are GMP certified & a step by step approach is adopted towards providing the best quality products to the customers. A trusted name in the circle of organic products manufacturers and bulk herb suppliers, the Organic Products India is significantly impacting the organic products sector and winning accolades across the global market.